Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Gettin' My Bake On

Friday afternoon my mom stopped by to help me prepare some yummy treats for a party I attended this weekend.  We tackled a homemade pumpkin roll.  Here's how it went down.

I got the recipe for the pumpkin roll here, but we made a few changes.  First, we used fresh pumpkin!  Miah and I went to Hubers a few weeks ago and bought some pumpkins with the intent that I would bake with one of them!  My mom and I baked the pumpkin like you might bake/steam a squash.  We cut it in to four pieces, cleaned out the inside, and placed it face down in an inch of water.  We let it bake for about an hour and a half at 350 degrees.  You can tell when it is ready when the outside skin is can be easily pierced with a fork. 


Sorry for the blurry pic, but here is the pumpkin baking in the oven.

Next, I took a big spoon and scraped the pumpkin out of the shell.




Then we put the pumpkin in the blender and pureed it. 




Now that we had our pumpkin puree, we seasoned it with Kroger brand pumpkin pie seasoning.  We also used the pumpkin pie seasoning instead of the cinnamon that the recipe called for.

At this point it was time to use our homemade pumpkin puree to make the actual pumpkin roll.  Here, we followed the recipe, but omitted the walnuts. 


Whipping the eggs, and mixing in all other ingredients.

We made two batches!  Here they are baking.

When the rolls come out of the oven, you must quickly flip them on to cloth to be rolled.

Ready to put the roll in the pumpkin!

Here they are all rolled up.  This was surprisingly easy to do!!  The key was definitely having cloth as opposed to paper!



After we had our rolls all rolled up, I let them cool over night.  Then in the a.m. I made the icing, unrolled the beauties, iced each, and rolled them back up.  The recipe above also includes the icing recipe.



The icing was super thick, but needed to be very smooth to go on well.  My mixer couldn't handle it--it started smoking!


So I got a new mixer!




Once the icing was done, I unrolled the rolls.
When I iced them I started with what would be the most inside portion of the roll.




Then I rolled them up and dusted each with powdered sugar!

Finished product!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment